This art trading card art project asks you to take a color photo and create a world around it using only a thin black marker. After all, if a drawing looks interesting before it even has any color, you’re on your way to a really nice work of art. To shortcut the magazine process, I’ve found these free images online and have created a blank template for those without access to make their own.
• Printed ATC Line Art paper for each student
• Sharpie marker, ultra fine tip
• Paper cutter, xacto or good scissors
1. Print out a sheet for each student, preferably on card stock or good drawing paper.
2. Challenge students to create a detailed world in each. Pencil is good to start, then trace with pen.
3. I use a paper cutter to cut the cards out after students are done. It’s easier to draw on the larger format.
4. Slide all the cards in a trading card sleeve, which you can find online or even at Staples.