1. Students soften a ball of clay and make a roughly 3/4″ thick pancake. The pancake is placed on a larger square of heavy cardboard.
2. A wide ring of heavy paper (posterboard is great) is made by stapling the ends together.
3. Students make an impression in the clay with a plastic toy and then push the paper ring down around it.
4. Plaster is mixed with water to the consistency of pudding and poured inside the ring. Jiggle to make sure plaster settles inside. Let dry for at least 30 minutes.
5. Remove paper ring and peel off clay. Let dry completely until cold to the touch. To add an aged look, paint with watery brown paint.