In my search for some new art ideas, I found an extreme close up of a black cat face that got me thinking. If you draw the face super large, then you can focus on making really amazing eyes, nose and mouth. And it encourages students to think of new ways to frame their drawing. Art doesn’t always have to fit in the paper. In fact, going off the edges can make things quite a bit more interesting.
• Watercolor paper
• Sharpie marker, black, fine tip
• Liquid watercolor, black
1. Students trace two eyes, and then complete the drawing as shown in pencil.
2. The drawing is traced with a marker.
3. The eyes and nose are colored heavily with a crayon.
4. The face is painted with black paint.