Here is one way to make easy snowflake art with paint and paper. Try blending several shades of blue on good watercolor paper and sprinkle salt to add more texture. Brush it off when dry and glue down punched out paper snowflakes. Super simple and gets amazing results every time.
• Watercolor paper (try Strathmore for special occasions)
• White card stock paper, for snowflakes
• Liquid watercolor paint, turquoise
• Liquid watercolor paint, royal blue
• Salt, kosher or table salt
• Snowflake paper punch
• Glue stick
1. Paint a sheet of watercolor paper generously with several shades of blue liquid watercolor paint. The goal is to make large “blobs” of each color that overlap just a bit. The paint makes wonderful organic shapes when allowed to just run together. Too much blending with the brush and you lose all those variations so a light hand is recommended.
2. While the paint is still wet (very important) sprinkle flakes of salt all around. I think the coarse kosher salt makes the most dramatic results. Let dry until all the wetness is gone.
3. Brush off all the salt on the painting with your hands.
3. Makes snowflakes from the card stock paper with a paper punch. Arrange randomly on the painting. Glue flakes to painting and trim off any that extend over the edge.