• Brown construction paper, 18″ x 24″
• White tempera paint
• Paint brush
• Oil pastels
1. Each student folds an 18″ x 12″ sheet of brown construction paper lengthwise so that it is 9″ x 12″. Students draw a simple body figure that is centered on the fold. The body hands, feet and head should be large and almost touch the edge of the paper.
2. The students use white tempera to paint the outside edge of the body with a thick white line, and then add some simple details like eyes and mouth and buttons. They leave some of the paper brown for the “gingerbread” look.
3. After the paint is dry, the students use oil pastels to add details such as stripe, dots, eyes and buttons.
4. Students cut out their gingerbread cookie with scissors.