Mark Rothko (1903-1970) was an Russian-American painter who had quite a turbulent life and career. His rich use of oil colors were what he came to be most known for. I found that brush Sharpie markers on canvas can give almost the same effect as oil paints. Click HERE to see one of Rothko’s paintings.
1. Color the background of the square with a yellow Sharpie Brush marker.
2. Add lines with an orange Sharpie Brush marker.
3. Use the yellow marker to smear the colors together.
4. Use the yellow marker to smear more orange around the top.
5. If more color is needed, add spots of orange and mix together with the yellow marker. Cover the painting with Mod Podge or clear gloss to add a shine.