This Lady Liberty art lesson comes from “Deep Space Sparkle” and finally had a chance to try a simplified version with my kinders. This student, Nola, has such a great sense of space that she chose to have a few fireworks in front, as well as behind her.
1. I walked the students through drawing themselves as Lady Liberty. They began with a large “U” that filled the bottom half of the paper. Next came the forehead band, then five spikes above, beginning with the center one. Students completed the face to look as much like themselves as possible.
2. The pencil drawing was traced with a black Sharpie marker.
3. Fireworks were drawn in the background in crayon.
4. A thin turquoise watercolor paint was applied to the entire face.
5. The background was painted with black watercolor for a night sky.