It’s so much fun to browse art journal pages over on Pinterest. I found a really inspiring page by Dion Dior HERE, which i just simplified a bit for my elementary students.
1. Start with quarter circle templates (I cut mine from old cereal boxes). Place on one side of spine and trace, flip and trace again.
2. First draw the center petal spines extending from the center of the flower. Add the curved lines to the side of each. Add extra petals to fill in any spaces. Trace all the lines with a black Sharpie marker.
3. Color the center of the flower with a brown crayon, the bottom of the petals orange, and the tips yellow. Press hard to make the color very bright. I like the twistable Crayola crayons as they seem to make more vibrant colors.
4. Write the word “Sunflower” in white crayon across the pages.
5. Paint the page with watercolor paint. If you like my blue, it’s my favorite Turquoise Blue from Dick Blick.