I experimented with an idea from my “Crafts for Kids” magazine, and came up with this recycled magazine cup holder. It’s created by weaving around a water bottle, so a good fit is pretty much guaranteed. And you probably already have all the supplies to make one … or more.
1. Tear out seven pages from an old magazine. Try to make the pages as whole as possible, but don’t worry about crooked edges.
2. Fold all pages in half lengthwise three times, crease, and tape ends shut with a small amount of tape. When complete, find the center of four strips by folding and marking with an “X”. Make 2 large “X”s from four of the strips and staple together in the center.
3. Wrap one “X” around the bottom of a water bottle, center and secure with a rubber band. Place the other “X” on top, center to cover open spaces, and tuck into the same rubber band.
4. Take one of the remaining three strips and weave into the bottle. I used a 20oz Gatorade bottle and the strips were the perfect length. When complete, tape the ends in place. Repeat with the 2nd stripe. For the 3rd strip, remove the rubber band first to make the weaving easier. Turn over and gently remove cup from the water bottle.
5. Gently fold over ends and tape inside if possible. Reinforce the top inside edge with extra tape to secure, place your water bottle back inside and you’re good to go.