The April Fool’s art project is pretty much guaranteed to create lots of giggles, just be sure that children don’t try to do much more than pose in them.
This photo goes so far back into my teaching days, these girls are actually in college now.
It’s still one of my all-time favorite photos that shows a bunch of sassy girls who made some very funny-looking glasses one Saturday morning.
If I had to do it again, with such a fun small group, I’d maybe precut the glasses part out of corrugated cardboard so they would be a bit stiffer. That would allow you to bling them out with some extra jewels and such. Definitely a fun party craft, especially in the age of selfies now.
- Heavy brown card stock paper
- Color printer
- Paper for color printer
- Markers, crayons, colored pencils
- Clear Tape
- Glue sticks
- Print b/w copies of the glasses on the heaviest paper stock available, and color copies of the Eye Prints.
- Use markers or crayons to decorate the glasses.
- Cut out all 3 pieces, including the inside of the frames. A pointy student scissors should work fine for that.
- Tape the eyeglass sides to the front.
- Choose the pair of eyes that you want. Use the glasses as a template to trace to find out where to cut them out.
- Glue the eyes into the glasses.
- Add some color to the skin and eyes.
- Have fun posing with your funny glasses, but stay safe and don’t try walk around in these. Save them for fun selfies!