This kind of simple landscape lets chalk pastels do what they do best – make smudgy, soft colorful shapes.
- Construction paper, orange or yellow
- Chalk pastels
- Spray fixative, if desired
1. Starting with an orange or yellow sheet of construction paper, students draw a horizon line a quarter of the way down the paper with chalk.
2. Three round circles for the trees are drawn and filled in with fall colors. Rubbing with fingers softens the shapes.
3. The background sky is colored and blended in.
4. A dark brown or black chalk is used to draw the tree trunks over the sky
5. The ground is filled in with three layers of chalk color, blended often to soften the edges.