This was my solution to finish off my coffee can totem pole project, going with the kind of “wooden” look that kraft paper does so well.
- Jumbo Coffee Cans, about 8 for each pole
- Duct tape
- Brown packing paper
- Paper mache
- Sharpie marker
- Tempera paint, black
- Tape together about 8 jumbo sized coffee cans with heavy tape for each totem pole.
- Students tear up brown packing paper and mache it onto the cans, rubbing it as smooth. Let dry for several days.
- Starting with pencil, then marker, draw a totem pole face on each can.
- The paper mache will be kind of bumpy, so to get final black lines, trace the marker lines with a small brush dipped in black tempera cake paint.