I tried this craft stick loom project out last year and really liked it as an intro to weaving.
The rubber bands did not tear if you pulled on them too hard, and they kept the strips of paper from falling out. Here’s a tutorial for those that would like some printed instructions.
• Craft glue
• String, optional, for hanging
1. Glue four craft sticks together at ends. Make sure ends touch each other so that the square is as wide as can be. Let dry for about an hour.
2. Slide at least nine rubberbands onto square as shown.
3. Cut strips of paper about 7” long by varying widths of 1/4” to 1/2”. Weave strands of paper into the rubber bands and pull to center.
4. Continue weaving strips of paper until the board is full. Trim ends. Add a string hanger if desired to display.