I love the work of Sonia Delaunay, not only for her colorful abstract circles, but also for her groundbreaking life story.
This project is fun and easy for students if you can get transparent circle stencils. I found a really good one at Laurie Speltz, The Creative Coach. She offers a teacher discount so you can get multiples for just $2.99.
- Fill the journal page with touching circles.
- Fill each circle with more concentric circles.
- Draw at least three ruler lines that dissect some of the circles.
- Trace all of the circles with a black marker.
- Color the circles with watercolor pencils and brush with water for a neat, painterly look.