With just a little planning, you can draw a snake that looks like it’s wrapped around a branch. Perfect for a report about tree climbing snakes.
This tutorial takes the idea of drawing the snake in front of the branch, and then erasing the parts that would not show through the snake. I’d recommend it for older elementary students unless you have some really ambitious younger ones. I’ve constantly been surprised about what determination can accomplish in young artists.
If you like this tutorial, there are many more like it in my “Draw Animals” ebook in my PDF Shop.
- Draw a Snake PDF Tutorial
- Watercolor paper* (the good stuff if you want bright colors)
- Liquid watercolor paint*
*The above product links are referrals. If you click through and take action, I’ll be compensated a small amount, at no extra expense to you.
- Prep: Print tutorial for each student.
- Draw guide lines on paper, very lightly with a pencil.
- Draw the snake in pencil, still drawing lightly so it’s easy to erase some of the lines when needed.
- Trace the drawing with a permanent black marker.
- Use crayons to add some texture to your snake and leaves
- Paint over the crayons with liquid watercolors. Spread carefully so as to not make any puddles.