Here’s a template for more Presidents Day activities, tracing a George Washington Quarter. It’s a good way to use up those leftover coffee filters.
Just download the template below, trace onto a flattened coffee filter, and paint with gray watercolor paint. Try making a little darker gray paint and adding it to shadowy areas. Happy President’s Day!
- Quarter PDF Template
- Large Coffee Filters, 13 x 5 size
- Steam iron
- Quarter Template, print on letter copy paper, one per student
- Masking tape
- Sharpie marker, black, fine tip
- Liquid watercolor paint, black
- Paint brush
- Mesh plastic canvas, optional
The above product links are referrals. If you click through and take action, I’ll be compensated a small amount, but at no additional cost to you.
- Flatten white coffee filters with a steam iron. Tape filter on top of a Quarter Template. The missing side lines need to be added by the student.
- Students trace the Quarter Template line art onto the filter with a Sharpie marker.
- With the filter still taped to the copy paper, I had students place a plastic mesh sheet underneath for support in later carrying it to the drying rack.
- The filter is painted entirely with one layer of watery black watercolor paint. Let dry about 10 minutes and then paint the shadow areas with another layer.
- When filter is dry, carefully remove the back paper and tape. Light press with a steam iron (you can do many at once in a layer) to make them nice and crisp.