These outdoor art pencils have graced our school for many years now, and I thought I’d share a few tips about how they were made (while I can still recall them!)
The giant pencils were a collaboration between myself and another clever mom, who found some hardware material to finish them off.
- Primer paint
- Outdoor paint in primary colors and an erasure pink color
- Masking tape
- Metal duct work from hardware store
- Wash poles to remove dust.
- Sandpaper the surface so the new paint will adhere better.
- Prime the poles with primer paint.
- Mask off the pencil section and paint the main color. We found the colors all needed at least two coats, and the yellow three before it looked as bright as others.
- Mask off the eraser section and paint.
- The final hardware was found by another mom at our local hardware store. Sharing the photo above should help identify it. I recall that she was able to easily cut it in sections and then use some screws to make it clamp to the pole. These poles are about five years old, so they are holding up really well!