- Old CD case, 1/4″ thick version
- Foam numbers
- Acrylic paint
- Six 1 1/2″ foam numbers are arranged, peeled, and placed on an old CD case.
- Gesso is needed to make the background opaque, so the entire CD front and sides are painted and let dry.
- A second coat of gesso is painted and let dry.
- Students use a pencil to draw the checkerboard lines between the numbers. They may choose two colors of acrylic and paint the board in a checkerboard style. The paint is let to dry.
- Using a flat brush, students use one color of acrylic to “dry brush” a few vertical strokes in random spots.
- Finally, students paint one last color in the same manner. Note: Restraint is needed here, the goal is to have a layered look with all of the colors still showing at the end.
Note: This post contains an affiliate link.