• Foam numbers
• Acrylic paint
1. Six 1 1/2″ foam numbers are arranged, peeled, and placed on an old CD case.
2. Gesso is needed to make the background opaque, so the entire CD front and sides are painted and let dry.
3. A second coat of gesso is painted and let dry.
4. Students use a pencil to draw the checkerboard lines between the numbers. They may choose two colors of acrylic and paint the board in a checkerboard style. The paint is let to dry.
5. Using a flat brush, students use one color of acrylic to “dry brush” a few vertical strokes in random spots.
6. Finally, students paint one last color in the same manner. Note: Restraint is needed here, the goal is to have a layered look with all of the colors still showing at the end.
Note: This post contains an affiliate link.