Gustav Klimt was an Austrian painter who often used gold leaf to make his elaborately patterned paintings, as in “Adele Bloch-Bauer’s Portrait.” One way for students the appreciate all the patterns is to imitate the look just using lines.
• Color print of Adele Head Template
• Black Sharpie marker, fine tip
1. Students sketch the main body shapes in pencil.
2. The lines are traced with a thick black marker.
3. All areas are filled in with thin line patterns, either imitating the original, or better yet, making up their own.