I was so happy to find this Klimt Tree of Life drawing idea at Artsonia from Cedar Creek Elementary. Using a marker for the tree allows lots of detail that the watercolor paint will never smear.
- Watercolor paper
- Sharpie marker, black, chisel tip
- Liquid watercolor paint
- Draw a ground line and the center tree trunk with a pencil. Add curly branches to the left and right. Add more curls wherever they fit.
- Trace all the pencil lines with a chisel-tip black Sharpie marker. Add some extra thickness to the tree trunk and beginning of the branches.
- Paint the ground one color.
- Paint splotches of color all over the tree and background. Overlap the splotches a bit so that the colors run together.