Try giving young students a cat head template and challenge them to fill the page. This young 2nd grader, Benjamin, made an adorable painting as a result.
- Download Cat head PDF template
- Chip board
- Watercolor paper (Strathmore used here)
- Black Sharpie marker
- Liquid watercolor paint (I used this Sargent brand now)
- Prep: Trace cat head onto chip board and cut a copy for each student. It makes it much easier to trace.
- Students trace cat heads on their paper, rotating and leaving space in between.
- Cat bodies are drawn below each head.
- The cat is traced with a black Sharpie marker.
- Students use crayons to draw whiskers and strips on each cat.
- The cats are painted with liquid watercolor paint
CALIFORNIA ART STANDARD
Communication and Expression Through Original Works of Art
- 2.3 Depict the illusion of depth (space) in a work of art, using overlapping shapes, relative size, and placement within the picture.
Note: This post contains affiliate links.