This second grader did a great job making this little lightening bug painting today. I love the way she outlined the entire body with a white crayon to show the glow.
• Watercolor paper (for special occasions, I like Strathmore)
• Black Sharpie, fine point
• Liquid watercolor paint
PREP: Make a jar template and trace with a pencil on all papers
1. Students draw lots of little bugs inside the jar. They are simply circles for the head, half circles for the wings, and a large U for their bottoms.
2. The drawing is traced with the Sharpie.
3. The bugs and jars are filled in heavily with crayons.
4. White crayons lines are drawn around the bugs, either very neatly or lots of swirls to imply a glow.5. The entire picture is painted with blue liquid watercolor paint.