I must give credit for this clever ship idea to Parenting Magazine. I loved how realistic it looked on their website, it just didn’t come with any instructions. I did my best to simplify the pieces and directions, and have come up with this tutorial. I personally am a fan of the Starbucks sleeve shown because of the fine lines, but any will do.
• Woodsie Skinny Sticks
• Starbucks coffee sleeve
• White paper
• Scrap corrugated cardboard
• Xacto knife
• Red tape
1. Open up the coffee sleeve, fold inside out, and staple back together on one side.
2. Draw straight line on bottom of sleeve, and curve on top. Cut with scissors.
3. Use pattern to trace and cut cardboard insert. Test for fit in boat. Adjust size if necessary.
4. Use xacto knife to make two slits.
5. Use sticks to punch holes.
6. Cut four rectangles for sails.
7. Fold gently in half and cut small slits.
8. Slide sails on stick. Wrap tape on top and trim to make flag. Assemble as shown.