Here’s a fun MLK art project that offers structure, but still has lots of room for creativity. All you need are coffee filters, markers and watercolor paint.
Here are a few reasons why I like this Martin Luther King project:
- Flattened coffee filters (with an iron) are easy prep and cheap as can be. Iron a couple dozen at a time, print lots of laser templates, and you’re all set.
- The watercolor paints just POP off the filters, especially in contrast to the black marker.
- After tracing the template with a marker (the filters are pretty see through) there’s still plenty of room for personal expression. Draw some patterns? Paint a rainbow? Add a quote?
- It seems students have trouble tracing and chatting at the same time. Get ready for a very quiet room during the first half of this project.
LOOKING FOR A FUN FOLLOW UP PROJECT?
Now it’s easy to make a classroom mural to commemorate the amazing life of Dr. Martin Luther King.
All you do is purchase a Martin Luther King Mural template from my PDF Shop, have each student color a page, and then tape or glue it back together. For one low price you can print as many as you want, in 3 different sizes for years to come.
Create a special work of art for your classroom, and because everyone takes part, a collaborative experience as well.
- MLK Coffee Filter Silhouette PDF
- Large coffee filters, 13 x 5 size*
- Sharpie markers, black*
- Masking tape
- Liquid watercolor paint*
- Plastic embroidery canvas* (to hold the filter in a drying rack)
- Old steam iron
*The above product links are a referral. If you click through and take action, I’ll be compensated a small amount, at no extra expense to you.
Time needed: 1 hour.
Make a MLK Coffee Filter Painting
- Students place a flat coffee filter over a laser print copy of silhouette.
- Tape in place, trace black edges with marker.
- Fill in all the black areas with the marker.
- Place drawing on mesh canvas and paint with watercolor.
- Filter will be floppy so use mesh to move it to drying place.
- Optional: Iron the filter when dry to make it extra smooth.