I’ve been making various versions of this cat collage lesson all week long. I found my original cat template needed some tweaking for TK’s and kinders, so here is the update.
I decided that the original template I posted about a week ago with the separate head and body actually make it difficult to make a collar that didn’t go across the cat’s chin. The new template linked below has the cat as an all on one piece, with dashed lines so students can get the benefit of tracing practice too. I used the page with the tail line included for TK students, and the one without for the kinders on up. That gave them a little more drawing practice and room to be creative (Skinny tail? Fat tail? Scared tail?)
- Great book to read: “Henri’s Scissors”
- Parchment paper or cream copy paper
- Colorful cardstock paper, I like the Recollections brand
- Black Sharpie
- Glue stick
PREP: Print a Newspaper Cat PDF print on parchment or cream copy paper for each student.
- Students trace the cat template and if needed, draw a tail.
- The cat body patterns are drawn with a Sharpie and filled in to make lots of black shapes.
- The eyes are cut and glued on the face, and the body and tail are glued to the card stock paper. A small rectangle is cut for a collar and glued in place.
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links.