Picasso’s Blue Period paintings are great for seeing the power of color. A side self-portrait with lowered eyes in blues and greens makes a great study.
- Picasso Blue Period PDF Tutorial
- Watercolor paper, 6″ x 9″ art journal size
- Black Sharpie marker
- Liquid watercolor, blue and green
This project asks students to draw themselves looking down and off the page to increase the forlorn look that Picasso’s art had at this time.
- Students draw themselves looking off the page as shown in the tutorial. The eyes especially need to be slightly lowered for the sad look.
- Their drawing is traced with a black marker.
- The portrait is painted using only blue and green watercolor paint.
- For extra interest, they can add layers of color to create shadows. Note that this works best on real watercolor paper. Drawing paper doesn’t keep the pretty texture that watercolor paper does so well.