My favorite alternative to art texture plates is plastic embroidery mesh from the fabric store.
If you buy them large and cut them up, they are pretty cheap.
• White cards that measure 2.5″ x 3.5″
• Plastic Embroidery mesh
• Black Sharpie marker
• Trading card sleeves
1. Challenge is to think of things that come with a grid-like texture and draw nine of them in pencil.
2. The drawings are traced with a black Sharpie marker.
3. With the mesh below the cards, students color the desired areas with a texture, and the rest without.
4. The finished cards are placed in a trading card sleeve.