I’m always looking for a new way to introduce students to the “white crayon trick”. This cactus worked well for all ages.
- Watercolor paper (I used Strathmore)
- Black Sharpie marker
- Liquid watercolor paint
- Draw the pot and cactus with a pencil on watercolor paper.
- Trace all the lines with a black marker.
- Add lots of prickly white lines with a crayon, using lots of pressure to make sure they will show up.
- Paint with liquid watercolor paint.
- To add shadows, paint another layer of green along the edges and sides.