I saw this idea for drawing a tree on Artsonia.com, and love showing kids how lines can give dimension to their art.
- Draw a Hand Tree Tutorial (download here)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
- The students first trace their hand on a piece of paper. When finished, they should make the tops of their fingers very pointy.
- Vertical lines are drawn as shown. The more irregular they are, the better. When complete, the lines can be traced with a marker.
- Demonstrate to the students how they can place their marker on a vertical line and “jump”, or make an arch to the next line. It’s best to start at the bottom and work upwards. When they reach a finger, the lines become just single “jumps”.
- Leaves may be added around the tree, and grass in the background.
- Color with crayons or colored pencils. Note: This can make a spooky Halloween drawing if done on black paper with white pencil crayons.