Sometimes the art my students make just makes my jaw drop. This comes from my Matchbox Art class, where I proposed students make a bird house.
My sample had a very basic house on the cover, and a drawn nest inside and a tiny felt bird. Notice how Lola here turned everything up a notch…or two. Her house has a “Home Sweet Home” sign out front, an interior with a cozy brick wall and flowers, and not just any bird, an adorable hummingbird with extra long beak. Just amazing. And Lola is in the fourth grade.
- Matchbox PDF template to download
- Card stock paper, white
- Black marker, ultra fine point
- Markers, assorted colors, I like Stabilo
- Glue sticks or clear tape
- Craft glie
- Prep: Cut and fold tray, for each student. Cut insert and sleeve for each student.
- Students draw a house design on the sleeve. The art is traced and colored with markers.
- Students draw and color the insert to make art for the inside of the tray. The art is traced and colored with markers.
- The insert art is placed in the tray, and the sleeve is taped together and slid over the tray.
- Students use felt and glue to cut something to go inside their box.