One of my favorite collage making ideas is to start with pages from an old book, the older the better.
• Old book pages, preferably even yellowed old
• Multimedia paper
• Watercolor paint
• Ball point pen
• Glue stick
1. Each student gets several book pages. They paint each with watercolor paint, filling each page with large swatches of color. I made a red, yellow and green sheet for my sample.
2. After the pages are dry, the students are to cut out simple landscape shapes, such as a sun, grass, trees, and buildings.
3. The shapes then get glued down to a background paper.
4. After the glue is dry, give each student a ball-point pen to trace around the edges of the shapes, and add details. Double-tracing the lines adds a kind of casualness to the art.