René Magritte was a surrealism artist, famous for a number of paintings that challenge how we see things.
You can challenge your students to express themselves with a magazine circle that is turned into an eye drawing.
- Download Rene Magritte Project PDF tutorial
- Drawing paper, 9″ x 12″
- Old CD for tracing
- Old magazines
- Glue stick
- Black marker
- Crayons, skin color
- PREP: Cut 9″ x 12″ in half to make the 6″ x 9″ format used for my art journal projects.
- Students look for large colorful images that appeal to them in magazines. A CD is used to trace a circle around the image.
- The circle is cut out with a scissors. Older students (grade 4 and 5?) may trim a bit off the top and bottom to show a more realistic eye shape.
- The “eye” is glued to the center of the journal page.
- The eyelid is drawn around the circle. The lines are traced with a black marker and crayons are used to color and shade as realistic eye as possible.