I’ve created an ebook to support this line art project idea. Drawing new art around classically painted faces makes for all kinds of creative possibilities. My pdf file includes a thumbnail page with the name of each original painting and artist, followed by ten pages of faces: 5 women, 4 men and one child.
• Color print a face from my ebook
• Sharpie marker, fine tip
• Sharpie marker, ultra fine tip
1. Students draw hair and shoulders around a printed head. Encourage them to give their subjects an updated look. A contemporary drawing around these classic faces makes for a really fun contrast. The main shapes are drawn lightly in pencil.
2. The pencil lines are traced with a fine tip marker, which will produce somewhat thick lines.
3. The ultra fine marker is used to add definition and fill in the rest of the space. Keep filling and adding lines until you think they might start to bump into each other.