A fun Van Gogh art project for kids is to start with his classic portrait, and then add a background. Limiting it to patterns to shows the power of lines can make, not to mention the contrast.
This photoshopped face of Van Gogh was originally posted a while ago, but only with the one main page to draw on. When I taught this project, I realized students needed more references to “fill in the blanks”. They needed to see basically how the suit might look (as a starting point), some finished examples for inspiration, and the original painting for a little art history.
• Deluxe Line Art Van Gogh PDF template
• Color Printer
• Drawing paper
• Sharpie marker, fine point and ultra fine point
PREP: Print face with blank background for each student.
1. Draw a new body and background for Van Gogh’s painting.
2. Trace the lines with a fine point Sharpie marker.
3. Add lots of detailed lines with an ultra fine point marker so you have both thick and thin lines.