Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Gingerbread House and a Gingerbread Coloring Page. The lesson includes a few tips on how to make the house look dimensional.
Gingerbread House Drawing
This How to Draw a Gingerbread House tutorial keeps things simple, but includes just a few extra touches to make the house look a bit more real. An added side gives it some depth, and a little man and candy in the yard make for some extra color too.
When it comes to coloring your drawing, here’s a tip that will keep your student’s snow looking white and fresh. All they have to remember is NOT draw the little snow circles first with a black marker. They need to stop when they’re done tracing the house and candy and draw the snow circles with the sky blue crayon or marker instead. When they color in the background they will have some very pretty and soft looking snow without any black outlines. It makes for a much lighter and more delicate looking sky.
Also, older students might also enjoy including a few shadows as shown in the sample above. It only takes a bit of gray to make the shapes really stand out in the white snow.
Join my Email List below to get this instant download!
Pin me to your Pinterest Board!
Gingerbread House Coloring Page
Materials for a Gingerbread House Drawing
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tips.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Step by Step Directions for a Gingerbread House Drawing
Time needed: 45 minutes.
Easy Gingerbread House Drawing
- Draw a basic house shape.
- Add a side to the house and a door.
- Draw some snow dripping from the roof.
- Erase the lines and add two candy canes next to the door.
- Draw a small window in the front.
- Add the candy decorations around the window.
- Draw a chimney and a large lollipop next to the house.
- Add a gingerbread boy and a horizon line.
- Trace the drawing with a marker and color.