Learn how to draw a Cardinal with this easy step by step tutorial. It’s bright red color can make a pretty holiday card.
If you need a fun winter project that has some built in color appeal, and honors the season more than a specific religion or holiday, you can’t go wrong with cardinals. They have a simple shape with distinctive pointy head and black face, and when set against a snowy sky, always make a charming winter work of art.
My school used to have an annual art fundraiser for the holidays, and having students draw and color or paint a cardinal seemed to always make all the parents happy. We had a pretty diverse student body, so bringing out a nature-themed project always felt like a good solution.
- How to Draw a Cardinal (click to download a PDF)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to Draw a Cardinal
- Draw a half circle at an angle.
- Add a tail.
- Draw a wing on top.
- Erase inside the wing, and add a face.
- Draw tail lines and add two feet.
- Draw a branch underneath the feet.
- Add another branch above.
- Draw a tree line in the background.
- Trace with marker and color.