Hot air balloon rides have a kind of timeless appeal, so it’s no wonder so many people have drawn and painted them over the years.
I love how they show the power of LINES in making something look dimensional, and in this case create a sense of SPACE by having a couple more drifting off in the background. Both of those features are part of the seven Elements of Art, so students can see how they work when they make a drawing like this.
- Draw a Hot Air Balloon PDF (click here to download)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
- PREP: Draw or print grid lines on paper.
- Draw the balloon according to the tutorial. Try to make light lines that may be easily erased when you are done.
- Trace the drawing with the Sharpie marker.
- Color the drawing with crayons, markers or colored pencils. There are lots of tiny details in this picture so choose something that lets you easily color small shapes.