Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Windy Day and a Windy Day Coloring Page. Learn how to draw a windy day by showing someone flying away on an umbrella.
Windy Day Drawing
Drawing a windy day may sound tricky, until you realize you can just focus on what the wind does, not the actual wind itself. The wind pushes things in whatever direction it is going, so all that means is things needs to be leaning in the same direction, showing the effect of the wind.
This tutorial takes that idea and has a little fun with it by showing what it might look like for someone to be flying across the sky, holding a colorful umbrella. Students can imagine what it might feel like to be looking down from the tree tops on a pretty windy day.
The key to getting the windy look, is to have the umbrella and the body drawn at the same angle. This tutorial shows how to start by getting that umbrella at an angle, and a handle and body that lines up with it.
This body is kept intentionally simple so students can easily turn it into a boy or a girl, and customize the clothes as they wish.
Scroll down below to see how a kindergartener made one of my all-time favorite paintings of this, quite a few years ago. I sure hope Veronica is still drawing.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Windy Day Coloring Page
Student Art Inspiration
Materials a Windy Day
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Directions to Draw a Windy Day Step by Step
Time needed: 1 hour
Draw a picture showing a windy day
- Draw dots and connect.
- Add the bottom of the umbrella.
- Draw the umbrella handle.
- Add a head and circle hand.
- Draw windy hair, ears and face.
- Draw a jacket.
- Add pants, legs and a scarf if you want.
- Draw tree tops (or make them clouds!)
- Trace with a marker and color.