Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for an Alberto Giacometti for kids tutorial and Coloring Page. His elongated and narrow figures had a very distinct look.
This Alberto Giacometti for Kids project will help students draw a person with his very distinct proportions, and give them a few options for coming up with their own pose.
Alberto Giacometti was one of the most important sculptors of the 20th century. His work made people wonder about the human condition. Although his output extended into painting and drawing, the Swiss-born and Paris-based artist is most famous for his sculpture. He whittled down his figures to the slenderest proportions to powerfully capture the tone of melancholy and loneliness.
Giacometti Art with Glue and Chalk Pastels
The image below shows another media option for making a distinct Giacometti drawing. Working with just plain old white glue is a great way to get that really bumpy edge that his sculpture had. The smaller paper size also helps students fill the page and works great as a Recycled Art Journal project.
Directions for a Glue / Pastel Drawing
- Cut black card stock paper to a tall and narrow proportion, such as 6″ x 9″
- Students draw their figure with a pencil
- The drawing is traced with white glue and let dry on a flat surface
- Students use chalk pastel to rub over the background. The glue will stay black
Use Button below to download this PDF Tutorial
Follow Up Project: Pipe Cleaner People
Giacometti Coloring Page
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. Don’t waste your money on the cheapest brand. These make nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. The perfect medium size tip marker for tracing.
- Crayons. I like this non-toxic brand that is made from beeswax, not petroleum by-products.
- Black Card Stock Paper (for the glue/pastel project)
- Chalk Pastels (for the glue/pastel project)
- White Glue (for the glue/pastel project)
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step Directions
Time needed: 30 minutes
How to Draw like Giacometti
- See Giacometti’s “Pointing Man” sculpture.
- Draw a head and skinny neck.
- Add a skinny torso below.
- Draw large feet at the bottom.
- Trace with marker and color.
- Option Body A
- Option Body B
- Option Body C