Learn how to draw an umbrella with this easy step by step tutorial. A few pre-printed dots will help young ones get started.
Learning how to draw an umbrella is certainly a fun thing to do on a rainy day, or any day for that matter. The large sections are just begging to have some colorful patterns added to them.
This tutorial is a bit of a cross between a connect the dots, and a DIY project. My experience is that elementary students need a bit of help in setting up an evenly spaced octagon, but providing the entire shape doesn’t help them think things out.
The solution? A template that you can print that has just the eight dots so their umbrella gets off to a good start, and the rest will be up to them. If you want the simple version for younger students, I recommend the crayon drawing. If you are lucky enough to get your hands on some fancier supplies, the black paper and marker project is explained in the PDF shared HERE.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Umbrella Coloring Page
Materials for How to Draw an Umbrella
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Step by Step Directions for How to Draw an Umbrella
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to Draw an Umbrella
- Print dot template page.
- Connect outside the octagon.
- Connect dots to make an X.
- Draw another X.
- Start the shirt below.
- Add shorts or pants.
- Draw legs and boots.
- Add puddle, horizon and clouds,
- Trace with marker and color.