Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw Ice Cream and a Ice Cream Coloring Page. A soft serve with a twist makes a really pretty summer drawing.
Ice Cream Cone Drawing
When learning how to draw ice cream, it helps to make it as swirly as can be, and standing in a cone. That way students can shows off all the colors, and provides some lessons in drawing with dimension too. That cone needs to be curved, to look round, and the swirls need to get thick and thin, just like they do in real life!
Ever wonder where soft serve ice cream came from? There are several businesses that claim to have invented it, and here is just one example. It was Memorial Day in 1934, and Tom Carvel (the founder of Carvel brand) found his ice cream van had a punctured tire. He pulled his truck into parking area and started selling his melting ice creams to all the vacationers. He sold out within 2 days. He quickly decided that selling soft serve desserts in one location was a better way to go.
These days, the classic twisted soft serve in a cone is what most children fondly remember about summer, and with a little help, they can draw one that looks a lot like the real thing. This tutorial shares how a little curve on the cone can make it look more round, and a few diagonal lines can add the familiar texture. A few well-placed twist lines in the ice cream itself will turn it into two flavors, which they can color as they wish. Makes for a lovely work of art that will never melt.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Ice Cream Coloring Page
Materials for How to Draw Ice Cream
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Directions for How to Draw Ice Cream
Time needed: 45 minutes
How to Draw Ice Cream
- Draw the curved shape of the rim of the cone.
- Add the cup shape below the rim.
- Draw the rim lines and start the diagonal pattern below it.
- Add diagonal lines in the opposite direction.
- Draw the first ice cream layer like this.
- Add another ice cream layer on top of it.
- Add a third ice cream shape with twist on top.
- Draw the inside swirl lines in each section.
- Trace with a marker and color.