Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw an Octopus and an Octopus Coloring Page. It will help you draw the legs with a curly life like look to them.
This octopus drawing tutorial is designed to help students draw one with a more active pose. By starting with the two outside legs first, then one in the middle, then filling in the rest, students are much more likely to get legs that are all spread out. This is so much closer to what they look like in real life, and not that difficult if you take it one step at a time.
Classroom experience taught me that curves are some of the hardest shapes for new artists to draw, in the sense that it is initially tricky to see just how curvy something needs to be. A gentle slope of a hill is vastly different that a head of curly hair, and it takes practice to see all those variations.
To learn more about these amazing creatures, there’s a great documentary on Netflix called “My Octopus Teacher”. It’s beautiful and fascinating, just be forewarned that there’s some “circle of life” footage, so preview it first to see if it’s right for your age level. I almost reached for a tissue box while watching it myself!
Use the Button below to download a PDF Tutorial
Octopus Coloring Page
Materials for Octopus Drawing
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step Directions for Octopus Drawing
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to Draw an Octopus
- Start the with the head shape.
- Add two outside legs. Draw lightly as that middle line will be erased when you are done.
- Draw a third leg in the middle.
- Draw two legs in the space on the right.
- Add another leg in the space on the left.
- Draw two more legs in the background.
- Erase the line, and add eyes and bumps on head.
- Add circles to the legs and some bubbles in the water.
- Trace the drawing with marker and color.