Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Camel and a Camel Coloring Page. Follow this step by step tutorial to make him look like he’s walking across the desert.
When it comes to learning how to draw a camel, there really isn’t any other animal to compare it to. Its droopy face, curved neck, and humped back have a look that is just all their own. And that’s before you even add in their skinny legs!
This tutorial will help students sketch out the basics of a camel body, and then add add all those extra parts. As with just about any animal drawing, it’s always good to get the largest parts in place first, before going on to any details. It’s a good way to plan out your drawing, and keep any fixes to a minimum.
Getting Started with Drawing Guides
The best way to get students off to a good start to any drawing lesson is to show them how to use guides as a reference point.
You may have noticed that all of the tutorials on this site have a dashed line running through the center of each step, in both horizontal and vertical directions. If students make their own centered lines on their own paper, before drawing, they will have an easy reference to follow.
Drawing skills are all about getting the size and placement of lines on paper, so having some visual reference point to get started, will always help anyone learn how to be a little more accurate.
So does that mean students need to get out a ruler to draw a big fat line down the center of their paper before they start? Goodness no, please don’t! That will most likely be hard to erase and distract from any finished art. No, simply fold the sheet of paper in half both ways, make a crease, and unfold. The beauty is that by the time the drawing is done and colored in, the creases will disappear.
Use the Button below to download a PDF Tutorial
Camel Coloring Page
Camel Tracing Page
Materials for Camel Drawing
- Drawing Paper. This is good, sturdy drawing paper that you can buy in bulk.
- Pencils. Don’t waste your money on the cheapest brand. These make nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. The perfect medium size tip marker. Not to thin, not too thick.
- Crayola Crayons. They have a few of my very favorite colors, like their light sky blue.
- Prang Crayons. These are eco-friendly and can sometimes look almost like like oil pastels.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step Directions for Camel Drawing
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw a Camel
- Make guidelines. Start the body.
- Add a neck.
- Draw the head shape on top of the neck.
- Add the mouth, eye and ear.
- Draw two legs attached to the body.
- Draw back legs and the tail. Erase the gray lines.
- Draw a horizon sand line with pyramids.
- Add a palm tree and sun.
- Trace with a marker and color.