How to draw an ant, and then make it look dimensional instead of flat. A second stroke of watercolor paint will do the trick.
Try adding a little crayon and watercolor to your study of ants and see what happens.
- Draw an Ant PDF Tutorial (click to download)
- Watercolor paper*
- Black Sharpie marker*
- Liquid watercolor paint*
*The above product links are referrals. If you click through and take action, I’ll be compensated a small amount, at no extra expense to you.
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw an Ant
- Start the thorax as shown.
- Draw the abdomen below.
- Add a neck and head.
- Draw the front leg in sections.
- Draw the bent middle legs.
- Add back legs and head antennae and eyes.
- Trace with a sharp black crayon and paint black.
- Add extra black to one side to make a shadow.
- Paint the background a contrasting color.