Easy How to Draw a Landscape Tutorial and Landscape Coloring Page
Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Landscape and a Landscape Coloring Page. This one includes a simple fore, middle and background which adds more depth to your drawing.
Once students have mastered drawing houses and roads and hills, they can start to arrange all those elements in a way that adds some visual space to their art. (Space, by the way, is one of the Elements of Art.)
If you get students to think of landscapes has having a foreground, middle ground, and background, they can decide which shapes are in front of the others, and draw them accordingly.
Keeping those layers extra simple in the beginning will help, and this drawing with a clear front road layer, middle house layer, and the back hill layer are easy to see and understand. It basically is just using Lines and Shapes (more Elements of Art!) to create Space, and later students can learn how to add shading for even more depth.
Use the Button below to download a PDF Tutorial
Easy Landscape Coloring Page
Materials to draw a Landscape
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step Directions for a Landscape Drawing
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to Draw an Easy Landscape
- Draw a ground line.
- Start the side of the house.
- Finish the front of the house.
- Draw simple trees on the side.
- Add another ground line.
- Add hills in the background.
- Draw a road in the foreground.
- Add clouds in the sky.
- Trace with marker and color.