Learn how to draw a Gnome with this easy step by step tutorial, and then place him in a fun garden setting.
Traditionally, a gnome is a small supernatural spirit which lives on earth, and have been mentioned in children’s fairy tales since the 19th century.
Today, people often keep an ornamental gnome or two in their garden. They are often quite chubby in appearance, have large colorful hat and long beard. These figurines were first popularized in Germany, then brought to England in the late 19th century.
This gnome tutorial shares an easy way to draw this little guy, cute clothes and all. The shapes for the body and flowers are pretty simple, making it a doable project for even young elementary students.
Use Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
How to Draw a Gnome Materials
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tips.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Step by Step Directions for How to Draw a Gnome
Time needed: 35 minutes.
How to Draw a Gnome
- Draw a nose and mustache.
- Draw the face around it.
- Add eyes, brow and beard.
- Draw two ears and add a hat.
- Draw two arms.
- Add a belt and shirt edge.
- Draw two legs and horizon line.
- Finish with flowers and sky.
- Trace with marker and color.Draw