Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Horse Head and a Horse Head Coloring Page. Their graceful beauty make them a popular drawing project for many young artists.
Of all the animals there are to draw, I think horses fall into a unique category as being one of the most loved, AND one of the most tricky. Even if you just focus on the head, their chiseled profile calls for some special attention to get all the hard and soft shapes just right. After all, if you get them to align in the right way, you have a beautiful and graceful animal. But if a few are out of place, things just look a little, well … awkward.
My new horse head tutorial offers lots of support to help students draw a head with a graceful 3/4 view and keep out a lot of the guesswork. If you use my suggested 16 box grid (you can either fold your paper to get them, or use page 3 of my PDF download) you’ll see that lots of the horse head lines fall right on some of the guidelines. If students pay close attention to them as they are drawing, they will really help get the size and shapes of all those curves in the right places.
Use Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Horse Head Coloring Page
How to Draw a Horse Head Materials
- Prang Crayons (affiliate link)
- Crayola Crayons (affiliate link)
Step by Step Directions to Draw a Horse Head
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to Draw a Horse Head in 9 Easy Steps
- Draw a large eye with a spot.
- Start the head as shown.
- Add the top of the head and neck.
- Add two ears.
- Draw the mouth shape around the nose.
- Erase the inside line. Add the nostril and lip line.
- Add a mane and back line.
- Erase the gray head lines. Draw shadows with dark brown crayon.
- Trace pencil lines with a marker and color with crayon.