Finding a tutorial for how to draw a horse running, one appropriate for elementary age students, proved difficult so I made my own.
Horses are beautiful creatures, especially when they are running, so it’s no surprise that lots of children like to draw them. The trick though, is to get all those gentle curves of their legs and body just right.
This tutorial is made with some extra guidelines (you can draw them or fold your paper to get them) which will help you get proportion of your horse right. Drawing the most perfect legs ever still won’t look right if they are too large or too small for your horse body.
*The above product links are a referral. If you click through and take action, I’ll be compensated a small amount, at no extra expense to you.
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw a Horse
- Make guidelines. Draw the back.
- Draw the head.
- Continue the chest line.
- Draw front leg with hoof.
- Draw back leg with hoof.
- Draw belly and remaining legs with hoofs.
- Add tail, ear, mane, eye and nose.
- Erase line inside. Draw background.
- Trace with marker and color with crayons.