Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step How to Draw a Horse Tutorial Video and Horse Coloring Page. Scroll down to learn more and download yours for free.
Horse Drawing Video Tutorial
A brief history of Horses in Art
Today, kids who would like to learn how to draw a horse can get some help with a step by step tutorial. Horse bodies are made of lots and lots of subtle curves from all those amazing muscles. Breaking them down into some simple shapes that get connected, makes it a lot easier for students to see and understand.
The appearance of horses in art dates all the way back to the prehistoric Lascaux cave paintings found in France, estimated to be about 17,000 years old. Of the 6,000 images found there, 364 are of horses.
Later on, Renaissance period artists were also very inspired by them. A few who loved to make art with them include Leonardo da Vinci, Albrecht Dürer, Raphael, Andrea Mantegna and Titian. In 1482 the Duke of Milan commissioned Leonardo da Vinci to create the largest equestrian statue in the world, however Leonardo’s horse was never completed, (until it was replicated in the late 20th century).
Fast forward to the time of the cowboy and native Americans in the west, and you can find more who dedicated drawings, paintings and sculptures to these beautiful animals. Two of the more famous examples are Frederic Remington and C.M. Russell.
Join my Email List below to get this Instant Download!
Pin me to your Pinterest Board
Horse Coloring Page
Materials for How to Draw a Horse
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Directions for How to Draw a Horse Step by Step
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw a Horse in 9 Easy Steps
- Scan to see a step by step Horse video on YouTube.
- Draw an oval and simple horse head shape.
- Connect both of the shapes with a neck.
- Erase the inside lines and add two horse ears and a face.
- Draw the mane over the neck.
- Erase the inside line and add two a front leg and a back leg with hooves.
- Erase the inside lines and add two more legs.
- Draw a tail and add a background.
- Trace the drawing with marker and color with crayons.