The best way to learn how to draw an easy cow face is to make it with simple, symmetrical shapes.
If your students are past learning how to draw an oversimplified cartoonish cow, but don’t need a full on 3D shaded version either, then this tutorial might be just the ticket.
Start with a symmetrical face, then add a body going off to one side, and BAM! You have a pretty realistic looking bovine.
Preview of the step by step Easy Cow Face Drawing tutorial
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you click and take action, I will be compensated a small amount, but at no expense to you.
- Drawing Paper. Don’t substitute it with copy paper or construction paper. The surface will get fuzzy, erasing might cause holes, and the colors will generally not look as bright.
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent markers make nice black lines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them in areas with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath for table protection.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have in the smaller boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors, and seem a bit richer than ones Prang has.
Time needed: 45 minutes.
Draw an Easy Cow Face
- Start at the bottom with a U shape.
- Draw a head connected above.
- Draw two angled eyes.
- Add two curved lines to the face.
- Draw the nose details.
- Add two ears.
- Draw the cow body on the side.
- Add landscaping to the background.
- Trace with a marker and color.